Monday, October 26, 2009

VEG-ISM PART SEVEN: How Gung-Ho Are You Willing To Go?


Perhaps the most challenging and frustrating thing about going veg, or even just switching to free-range, is the amount of people who will expect you to justify yourself and your decisions to them.

Inevitably, at some point, someone will ask you: "what are your reasons for doing this?", and no matter how hard you try to explain, they will continue to argue against your decision.

I think this is about as wrong as somebody telling you that you aren't allowed to believe in God, or that your degree wont get you anywhere, or that you should be heterosexual because it's more socially or morally acceptable.

In other words, bullshit. What you choose to consume, and they way you go about it, is completely your decision and your business. If someone is interested in why you've made those decisions, then it's your choice whether or not you explain your views to them. I think the best answer is to simply say, "if you're interested, then have a look on google". Of course if they genuinely want to understand, then explain by all means. But you don't have to have countless arguments and debates; the fact is, the information is out there, it's happening, and if people choose to ignore it that's their own choice.

These are the things that YOU can do to help stop the systematic toture and abuse of animals:
- Go vegan/vegetarian
OR
- Purchase only (or wherever possible) free-range, SPCA approved meat and dairy products
- Encourage your friends to look into the meat and dairy industry (yep, even in NZ)
- Continue to do your own research into the industry, so that if people have questions, you are (hopefully!) able to answer them clearly

There are many different types of veg-ism, when deciding how you are going to go about it you don't HAVE to follow strict rules (although if you're willing to, that's better!); you can make what you like of it. I've had several phases between when I first went vegan until now (vegan again), including vegan but eating only goats feta and free range eggs, then to vegetarian, then vegetarian who ate fish, until recently when I considered starting to eat meat again and ate one free-range organic eye fillet steak and began researching and writing a blog, which changed everything. Once I started to research the meat and dairy industries, I decided there was no way I could possibly support it.

In a way I'm glad I ate that steak. I was slipping in terms of my own personal beliefs, but it was that steak which caused me to return to my original ideas about animal welfare and what I can do about it.

Strict vegans don't purchase meat, dairy, or any other animal by-product whatsoever. This includes leather and wool, and generally various household items: cosmetics, hair products, soaps, etc, that are tested on animals or contain animal fat.

Vegetarians don't eat meat, but they do eat some dairy products. The main thing that a vegetarian will look out for in dairy products is rennet, which is used to coagulate milk in the cheese-making process, and the main source of rennet is from the stomachs of newly-born calves. You can buy vegetarian cheese; Mainland vegetarian cheese is in a brown papery packet and contains vegetable rennet instead. Similarly, gelatin is from animal hooves, and is in most confectionary. My favourite alternative lollies were Jelly Tots, and I used to find them in the international foods section in countdown.

And you CAN STILL be an animal activist if you eat meat! Cut down on your intake and purchase only free range, SPCA approved meat and dairy. I take my hat off to those of you who do this, because you're supporting the indusrty that is doing is right.

Of course, you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. You might have to spend awhile reading labels and getting accustomed with igredients in products.

And don't let anyone interrogate you about it!

This is my last post on this subject, for now. I do hope you have enjoyed following it and that it's been informative and useful to you. I also hope that it has given you some insight into both the farming industry and a veggie lifestyle. As you have seen, not all assumptions about veg-ism are correct! But don't listen to me, go and try them out for yourself, and do your own research.

If there's anything you're uncertain about, ask me :) you can comment below or email. Please also let me know what you think of Veg-Ism, I'd love to get some feedback!

Love,
M Tehrase
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment